Summer skin is all about the sun and how the complexion looks when sun rays bounce off the face.
A bronzy tan complexion is the look to have at the height of this season and the modern bronzy makeup look has been updated to show a softer sun-kissed tone on complexion. It is also a lot more discreet than the darker bronzed sunburnt look that was popular a decade ago.
Achieving this contemporary bronzy makeup look overnight is easy when you have the right products and know the key steps to getting it right.
Here are two ways to getting the look.
Healthy Glowing Skin
“To get the look, a bronze makeup creates a variety of effects. It gives you a healthy glowing skin, a sun-kissed look. It can also sculpt and add warmth to your complexion too, especially for pale skin,” says Nars Cosmetics Malaysia makeup artist Justine Yip Kim Wai.
For pale skin, Yip says it’s more challenging to use a bronzer because the contrast is too drastic. It is better to use an apricot or pinky peach blush and then just dust a light sprinkling of bronzer on top to warm it up.
For those with medium or tan skin, choose Nars Laguna Sun Wash Diffusing Bronzer in one or two tones darker than your skin tone.
“To add highlights to your skin, I highly recommend Nars Orgasm Illuminating Loose Powder and Nars Multiple in Copacabana. Both products are versatile to be used on eye and cheek, and they also complement all skin tones, from fair to tan.”
Getting the bronzy look
1. Warm a small amount of Nars Smooth & Protect Primer SPF 50 with fingertips and blend onto skin to prep your skin and prolong your make up.
2. Apply Nars Velvet Matte Foundation Stick directly to skin and blend it with fingertips.
3. Then apply Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer with fingertips under eyes to minimise skin imperfection.
4. To keep the complexion looking fresh and dimensional, apply powder only in areas that tend to get oily such as the T-zone.
5. Apply Nars Sun Wash Diffusing Bronzer on the high points of your face by using Nars #11 Bronzing Powder Brush. Layer to intensify colour.
6. Then layer with Nars Orgasm Illuminating Loose Powder to add dimension to your face.
7. Use Nars #43 Wide Contour Eye Shadow Brush to apply bronzer on eye crease to create depth, followed by Nars Orgasm Illuminating Loose Powder on the eyelid to brighten and accentuate features.
8. Finally, apply Nars Orgasm Afterglow Lip Balm to add a hint of colour with a radiant finish to complement the bronzy look.
“Be precise on the application. A common mistake is to use a brush that is way too big for the face and the colour of the bronzer is way too dark for the skin,” notes Yip.
“To help your bronzy look last longer, prep your skin with a primer. When your base stays on well, everything else you apply after that will stay on your skin longer. It’s also important to choose the perfect brush to help you achieve a soft bronzy look.”
Warm Summer Glow
“A bronzy complexion is what a sun-kissed complexion looks like. It creates a warm skin tone and sets off a flawless healthy look,” says Make Up For Ever Malaysia education and artistry executive Zenna Au Kim Mei.
“For this look you can also use a highlighter which comes in several forms from powder, liquid to stick. I would recommend Make Up For Ever’s all-in-one palette which comes in pressed powder form.
“It is designed to flatter all skin tones with its great texture and more intense pigment on its own. Hence it is easy for any makeup user to achieve the bronzy look simply by blending these powders effortlessly. Choose Eggshell, which is the best shade for a highlighter.”
Getting the bronzy look
1. Prep the skin with MUFE Ultra HD Skin booster to plump the skin texture.
2. Next, apply MUFE Ultra HD Foundation to blend even skin tone
3. Apply a finishing touch to the complexion with the MUFE Ultra HD Loose Powder.
4. For eyeshadow apply the three shades of eyeshadow colours: MUFE Glitzy Face Palette (Eyeshadow) of Pink Gold, Golden Taupe and Golden Sand to complement a bronzy look.
5. Next, to sculpt and highlight the complexion with the MUFE Glitzy Face Palette follow the easy four-step application as indicated on the palette, using brush No. 158 (Sculpt and Blush) and brush No. 220 (Eyeshadow).
*If you have fair skin, follow these steps: Use the MUFE Ultra HD Concealer to achieve even skin tone under eye area. Next, apply No. 1 Highlight with Eggshell, No. 2 Sculpt with Sepia, No. 3 Blush with Peach Blossom and No. 4 Glitz (eyeshadow) with Pink Gold, Golden Taupe and Golden Sand.
*If you have tanned skin, start with applying the MUFE Ultra HD Stick Foundation in darker shade to sculpt face, then use a lighter shade to highlight the T-Zone. Next, apply No. 1 Highlight with Banana, No. 2 Sculpt with Mocha and No. 3 Blush with Warm Rose.
6. For a naturally moisturised healthy looking lip apply MUFE Ultra HD Lip Booster.
7. Finally, spray the MUFE Spray Mist & Fix Makeup Setting Spray all over the face for a longer lasting makeup throughout the day.
“For mature skin, avoid using highlighter with shimmer, especially on areas with visible pores and fine lines. The bronzy makeup will look more focused when you choose a natural, nude shade or beige tones for the lip. These lipstick shades will further enhance the bronze hues and bring the key focus on the highlights!” explains Au.