Pest control is one of the most important things to preserve health in the home, as well as work and plantations. Pests can be versatile, from cockroaches and ants to mice and other rodents. They are causative agents of many diseases therefore their eradication is essential.
Fortunately, numerous pest control products allow the control or eradication of these pests. However, they can be highly toxic especially if they are used improperly or accidentally end up near your children or pets.
In this article, we’ll talk about how can you know whether your pesticide products are safe. This is extremely important for health protection and the prevention of serious complications that may arise. Keep reading and find out more.
Understand the issue
Before you get into product shopping, it is important to completely understand your pest situation. For example, each pest control product works best against a certain type of contagion and does not work against others.
In addition, you have to consider whether using a pesticide is necessary at all. Sometimes, the issue can be resolved without chemicals, like removing food particles and closing openings where insects can get inside. If there is no other solution, using a pest control product is mandatory.
Select an appropriate product
Selecting the appropriate pesticide is the most important thing during this process. That way you will be sure to get the job done. However, there are a couple of things you need to know.
Firstly, select a product that will surely help in the eradication process, but has the lowest toxicity compared with other products. Consider the quantity you need before you get shopping so you can only purchase the amount you need, and nothing more.
In addition, you have to ensure you are keeping the pesticides packed separately from the remaining of your cart. Having them in a separate bag is usually a sufficient measure. However, transport the product in your trunk to prevent the spillage of toxic materials inside your car.
Lastly, get appropriate equipment and be sure to know how to use it to remain safe throughout the process.
Go through the label thorough
Going through the label of the pesticide is highly important to learn everything regarding the chemicals inside. You are first met with the name of the pesticide, and what it is effective against.
After that, you have the find a number as a reassurance that the product has been tested by the environmental protection agency. This is one of the biggest safety indications you need to look for on the package.
What follows is the list of constituents to see if there is something you don’t want to use. The signaling words are important so you can understand the toxicity. For example, if you see caution wording, it means it is the least toxic, and dangerous and poison is the most harmful. If you are living with children and you are highly concerned about safety, view here for eco-friendly products without poisons.
The potential consequences of the product as well as any first aid guidelines should also be present on the package. Lastly, there are the usage directions to ensure you are using the pesticide properly. This includes the quantity, how often should this procedure be done, and the method of application.
Be sure you are using the right amount of the product
Even though the amount that should be used in a single session is clearly written on the package, many people think that doubling the concentration means more effect. However, not only that is not true, but it is also harmful.
In case you increase the amount of the pesticide by a mistake or there is an accidental spillage, there are a couple of things you should do. Firstly, ensure proper ventilation. After that, you should use an absorbance medium to soak everything. Pack everything in a box and label it properly so you can do a correct disposal.
Do a correct disposal of your leftover product
Due to the toxicity, the product must not be thrown away in the usual garbage. In addition, do not think about throwing the excess in the drain since the pipes can be damaged and cause a serious problem. Do not pour the product into different bottles, and do not use the bottles of the pesticide for other purposes.
Instead, see if there is a program for the collection of hazardous garbage in your community. Give them a call so you can know what should your next move be. If there is no such a program, be sure to consult either with professionals, or the agriculture ministry to understand where should the remaining product be disposed of.
First aid in case of exposure
In case of excessive or improper exposure to the chemical, first aid is essential to preserve health. That is highly dependent on the mechanism of exposure. For example, if your skin is exposed to the chemical, be sure to remove every piece of surrounding clothing and do a thorough wash with only water and soap. Putting time into cleaning the fingernails and hair is important as well.
In case some of the product gets in your eyes, be sure to be quick and rinse the eyes with regular clean water. Rinse for about twenty minutes to half an hour. If there is no improvement, visit your doctor. For inhalation exposure, you only need to get fresh air and you should be good.
However, in case the product is swallowed, be sure to bring the person to the doctor immediately. Forcing vomiting is completely forbidden since there can be a complication due to the double exposure.
Consider hiring professionals
In case you are concerned about the effectiveness of pest control, and your safety as well, consider hiring professionals. They have long years of experience and can create a detailed plan on how to eradicate the contagions. In addition, with lots of product knowledge, they can ideally use something that is not harmful.
Even after going through the whole process, sometimes the problem can be recurrent. For that reason, emphasize prevention and talk with professionals about tips you can implement in your situation. That way you’ll be sure you no longer have the same problem.