Cats are quite careful about what they eat. And compared to other pets, they’re less likely to eat something poisonous.
It could happen though, if the animal eats a poisoned mouse, for example. Consuming rat poison is most common among cats that are allowed to roam freely, according to the German Animal Welfare Association.
Depending on how much poison the cat has ingested, this can lead to internal bleeding, often in conjunction with noticeably pale mucous membranes, especially in the mouth. Blood transfusions may be necessary in severe cases.
In any case, take your pet cat to the vet immediately if you suspect poisoning. Take a sample of the poison with you if possible. It’s also helpful to know when the animal may have consumed the poison.
Never try to make the animal vomit with milk or vegetable oil without consulting a professional, as it could cause the cat to suffocate. – dpa