An injured dog will bite, even if it is your own.
If there was one takeaway at the first-aid class for K-9 police officers held at Gladwyne Fire Company recently, it was this: Don’t take risks when a dog’s teeth are inches from your face.
“They have some deeply wired behaviours,” said Jon Detweiler, an emergency medical technician who was instructing about 15 officers on how to recognise and respond to medical emergencies involving their four-legged partners. “Please be ready for that.”
The officers and their companions from Montgomery and Delaware Counties gathered for the three-hour class and practice sessions. An afternoon class for paramedics, emergency medical technicians, and nurses addressed issues the group might encounter when responding to emergencies involving working canines, each valued as high as US$50,000 (RM203,800). The classes were sponsored by Narberth Ambulance.
Much of what the professionals learned about canine injuries due to car accidents, heatstroke, and penetrating trauma would be useful for owners of household pets as well, said Scott Kramer, a paramedic with Narberth Ambulance.
“Anything anybody can do in an emergency situation will help save a life,” said Sharon Minninger, a veterinarian who was teaching the class. She and Detweiler own Telford Veterinary Hospital.
For working dogs with a strong drive to work, it is important their police partners know when to give them a break so they don’t overheat.
Hyperthermia or heatstroke can happen any time, said Detweiler. “This is huge. This is 100% preventable.”
It’s also an issue for household pets.
“We had a dog die this week,” she said about a case at her veterinary practice. The family pet was accidentally left outside in the sun all day without water. “They start with a higher body temperature than us. It doesn’t take long to get to a high level.”
You can’t tell by just feeling a dog if its temperature is elevated. Those ear thermometers are built for humans and useless in pets because of their anatomy.
Instead, look for symptoms such as altered behaviour. A pet may collapse or vomit as well. Placing ice bags under the pet’s armpits, covering them with a wet towel, cooling the pads of their feet with alcohol swabs, or placing them in a pool or stream will help bring down high body temperature, she said.
The class included CPR instruction, recognising signs and symptoms that would signal a medical crisis, basic first aid, and emergency planning for transportation and hospital treatment before it is needed.
The seminar hit home for Whitemarsh Police Officer Matt Stadulis, who was there with his service dog, Nika, a three-year-old Belgian Malinois trained as a patrol and explosives dog. A few years ago Stadulis’ first canine partner, Brock, suffered a seizure at a training class, he said.
“I didn’t know what to do,” Stadulis said. First aid had not been a part of the comprehensive training officers go through with their canine partners, he said.
Brock, now retired at age nine, was rushed to Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania and treated for mild heatstroke. He fully recovered, the officer said.
The first-aid class “gives you the confidence to know what to do,” said Stadulis. – Tribune News Service/The Philadelphia Inquirer/Mari A. Schaefer
Create An Emergency Plan For Your Pets
> Know where the nearest 24-hour emergency veterinary clinic is located. Have the phone number handy.
> Be able to recognise abnormal behaviours for your pet. Know the basic signs of overheating, poison exposure, and trauma.
> Have a separate pet first-aid kit with basic supplies.
> Injured dogs will bite. Don’t assume your dog won’t become aggressive, and don’t take unnecessary risks.
> Practise fire drills with your pets so they are familiar with the sound of the alarm and will know what to expect.
> Be mindful of small toys that pets can choke on.
What To Include In A Pet First Aid Kit
A canine first-aid book
Sterile 4-by-4 inch (10cm-by-10cm) gauze and 5-by-9 inch (13cm-by-23cm) ABD pads, a highly absorbent dressing
4-by-4 yards (3.6m-by-3.6m) of bulk roll gauze
1-inch (2.5cm) medical tape
Stainless steel shears
4 ounce (120ml) bottle of eye wash
Instant cold pack and mylar emergency blanket
Burn gel with lidocaine
The ASPCA has a 24-hour Animal Poison Control Center that operates year round. The number is 888-426-4435.