The iconic Negroni cocktail turns 100 this year, and as a result, this year’s Negroni Week is set to be the biggest one yet.
Made with one part gin, one part vermouth rosso, one part Campari and garnished with an orange peel, the Negroni was created around 1919 in Florence, Italy, at Caffe Rivoire. It was inspired by Count Camillo Negroni, who’d asked the bartender, Fosco Scarselli, to make his favourite drink, the Americano (equal parts sweet vermouth, Campari and soda water) stronger.
The bartender did so by replacing the soda water with gin, and the Negroni was born! Scarselli also added an orange slice as garnish, rather than the Americano’s usual lemon twist so people would not confuse the two drinks.
Created by Imbibe Magazine in 2013, Negroni Week is an international charity initiative that will take place from June 24 to 30 in bars, restaurants and retailers around the world with the common goal of raising money for charitable initiatives.
Last year’s Negroni Week saw nearly 10,000 venues in 87 countries taking part, raising an impressive total of RM2.4mil for charitable causes, contributing to a total of nearly RM8mil raised since the initiative began.
This year, French spirits group, Remy Cointreau has helped upped the ante in Malaysia, with 39 bars and restaurants in the Klang Valley, Penang, Johor Bahru and Sabah taking part in this year’s Negroni week. Each bar will be serving the classic negroni, as well as a twist on the cocktail throughout the week, with proceeds from the sale of the drink going to various charities.
Here are the bars taking part in the initiative this year:
1) The 12 Senses (12, Lebuh Presgrave, Georgetown)
2) Copper Bar & Restaurant (88, Lebuh Armenian, Georgetown)
3) Hanjan Eatery Soju Bar (56, Lebuh Campbell, Georgetown)
4) Seven Skulls (46, Muntri St, Georgetown)
1) Bar Trigona @ Four Seasons Hotel KL (145, Jalan Ampang, KL)
2) Birch (Lot G10/11 Damansara City Mall, Bukit Damansara)
3) Botak:Liquor (156, Jalan Petaling)
4) Buena Brasa Gastropub (G9 & G10, The Sphere, Bangsar South)
5) Chicetti (Lot AG1 Amplewest@Menara 6, No. 6, Jalan Puncak)
6) Circa Bar (8-7, Jalan Batai, Bukit Damansara)
7) Coley Cocktail Bar (6- G, Jalan Abdullah, Bangsar)
8) Enoteca (15 & 17, Jalan Medan Setia 1, Bukit Damansara)
9) Gin Rik Sha (37, Jalan Medan Setia 1, Bukit Damansara)
10) Joloko (43, Jalan Kamunting)
11) Junglebird (15M, Jalan Medan Setia 1, Bukit Damansara)
12) Knowhere Eatery & Bar (50, Jalan Maarof, Bangsar)
13) Mezze Wine & Cigar Bar (132, Jalan Kasah, Medan Damansara)
14) Nizza Bar (No 6, Jalan Damanlela, Bukit Damansara)
15) Omakase + Appreciate (Bangunan Ming Annexe, 9, Jalan Ampang)
16) Pahit (3, Jalan Sin Chew Kee, Bukit Bintang)
17) Sassorosso Restaurant (9, Lorong Yap Kwan Seng, Kampung Baru)
18) Skullduggery (2M, Jalan Medan Setia 2, Bukit Damansara)
19) Skybar @ Traders Hotel (Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Stall 7, Jalan Pinang)
20) Soma Cocktail Bar (145A, Jalan Aminuddin Baki, Taman Tun Dr Ismail)
21) The Pawn Room (46, Persiaran Zaaba, Taman Tun Dr Ismail)
22) The Sticky Wicket Cricketer Pub (34, Jalan Medan Setia 2, Bukit Damansara)
23) Tujo Bar-Serrie & Grill (Ascott, 9, Jalan Pinang)
24) W.I.P Café and Restaurant (G111, Bangsar Shopping Centre)
25) Wet Deck @ W Hotel (121, Jalan Ampang)
26) Zenzero (A09, Ground Floor, St Mary Place, No.1, Jalan Tengah)
27) The Heritage Restaurant & Bar (24G, Jalan Medan Setia 2, Bukit Damansara)
1) HYDE at 53M (53M, Jalan SS 21/1a, Damansara Utama (Uptown), Petaling Jaya)
2) Ikiya Bar & Cafe (Lot no 112, Empire Damansara, Damansara Perdana, PJ)
3) Mrs. Jones’ Parlour (617a, Jalan 17/10, Seksyen 17, PJ)