Former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein is expected to surrender to investigators on Friday (May 25), according to US news reports on Thursday.
Weinstein, who was accused by dozens of women last year of sexual misconduct, is to be charged in New York by Manhattan’s district attorneys office, according to the New York Times quoting two unidentified law enforcement officials.
His expected surrender is to come after an inquiry into allegations that he sexually assaulted numerous actresses and employees of his company over several years. The precise charges he will face were not immediately clear.
A spokesman for Weinstein’s legal team did not respond to dpa’s request for comment. The district attorney in New York declined to confirm the report.
The women, who last year told their stories to the New Yorker magazine and New York Times, made a range of allegations, including rape, sexual abuse, assault and harassment. In some cases Weinstein allegedly offered to pay them or coerced them to stay silent.
Many of the women said when they complained about Weinstein’s alleged behaviour, they subsequently were blackballed in Hollywood and lost chances to work. Some said their careers were ruined.
Weinstein has repeatedly denied allegations of non-consensual sex.
Reports about Weinstein’s alleged behaviour touched off an avalanche of similar accusations against numerous other male Hollywood stars, television journalists and other powerful men. Many were dismissed or resigned.
The torrent of claims also gave rise the #MeToo movement representing women from all industries who have experienced sexual harassment or abuse on the job. – dpa