Julianne Moore has joined the hundreds of women accusing director James Toback of sexual misconduct.
Since the Los Angeles Times published its investigation of the Bugsy director on Oct 22, in which 38 women went on the record about their alleged dealings with Toback, more than 200 more have come forward alleging experiences of harassment with the filmmaker.
Moore, who stars in George Clooney’s new film, Suburbicon, and has publicly shamed disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein over allegations of sexual assault, shared her tale recently in direct tweets to Times reporter Glenn Whipp, who broke the Toback story.
The Oscar- and Emmy-winning actress said that Toback approached her in the 1980s using the same language detailed in Los Angeles Times investigation and wanted her to audition at his apartment.
“I refused,” she wrote, “One month later he did it again with the EXACT same language. I said don’t u remember u did this before?”
The women accusing Toback reported a pattern of behaviour, carried out over four decades, that included the director approaching them in New York and Los Angeles, boasting of his movie credits and relationships with stars such as Robert Downey Jr.
Then, under the pretext of interviews or auditions, he asked explicit questions about their sexual histories, often proposing that they remove their clothes, Whipp reported.
Moore, 56, becomes the best known star to share her alleged experience with Toback. Louise Post, guitarist and vocalist for Veruca Salt, detailed her story to the Times, and Today show anchor Natalie Morales said that she also had an encounter with Toback in Central Park. Meanwhile, Guardians Of The Galaxy director James Gunn said that he had been warning women about Toback for years.
Since the Times investigation was published, the Los Angeles Police Department has fielded numerous phone calls related to Toback. In New York, the Manhattan district attorney also said women are being encouraged to call the office’s sex crimes hotline in relation to Toback, who lives in New York.
Toback, 72, has denied the allegations, saying that he had never met any of the women in the story or, if he did, it “was for five minutes and have no recollection.” – Los Angeles Times/Tribune News Service