The Library Is Open again! This exclusive web series, produced by Star2 and TheStarTV.com, returns with a brand-new episode featuring Malaysian illustrator and author Cheeming Boey, who reads from his best-selling autobiography When I Was A Kid 4.
In this episode, Boey readsBraised Duck and As You Wish, two heartwarming stories about his grandmother, and S**t Stache, a hilarious tale about the boys who worked for his family. He also presents three brand-new illustrations for each chapter, drawn in real time exclusively for The Library.
We’ll tell you how to win these one-of-a-kind art pieces in a minute.
Boey published his first illustrated autobiography, When I Was A Kid: Childhood Stories, in 2012. The non-fiction series has received three Popular-The Star Readers Choice Awards nominations and one for the MPH Best Of 2013 Awards. The four books have collectively sold over 100,000 copies in Malaysia and Singapore.
Boey grew up in Johor Baru until he was 17, and then left for the Academy Of Art University in San Francisco. After graduation, he worked for video game developer Blizzard Entertainment, creators of the Warcraft series. He was a character artist on Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord Of Destruction, and the lead animator on Diablo III.
But it was his coffee cup doodling that brought him to everyone’s attention. Boey capitalised on that by drawing exclusive cups for Etsy, an e-commerce website specialising in unique handmade items. Those cups were priced from US$300 to US$1,500 depending on the complexity of the design and how many weeks he needed to complete one.
“I don’t sketch, so everything you see is a single attempt. When I make a mistake, I start over,” says Boey.
Sharpie then featured Boey in their advertising campaign video Coffee Cup To Canvas, which highlighted his journey from drawing on 4-cent paper cups for fun to illustrating art pieces for galleries. That video was among the recipients of the 2012 TED Award for Ads Worth Spreading.
Boey, who just turned 39 on April 12, 2017, is now based in California, and says he continues to be inspired by artists such as Keith Haring, Moebius (the pseudonym for French comics artist Jean Giraud) and Malaysia’s very own Lat. You can follow Boey at his website iamboey.com, his Facebook page Senpai Boey, and on Twitter @iamboey.
WIN ALL THREE exclusive new illustrations by Cheeming Boey. Watch his video and tell us:
1. What nationality was Boey’s “girlfriend” in As You Wish?
2. What part of Ah Huat’s body did his new upper-lip come from in S**t Stache?
3. … One heartwarming or hilarious short story from when you were a kid!
Email your answers to email@example.com with the subject field “When I Was A Kid”. Be sure to include your name, address, MyKad and contact number. Competition ends May 15, 2017.
The Library Is Open is an exclusive audio visual book series from Star2.com and TheStarTV.com that features writers, authors, poets, playwrights and screenwriters from Malaysia and around the world reading their work. Click on these links for more videos on YouTube:
- Malaysian actors Zahim Albakri, Susan Lankester and Tony Eusoff read from The Lord Of The Rings in character for Tolkien Reading Day.
- Malaysian writer-director Gavin Yap reads How I Made My First Movie (Or, A Decade Of Favours), a witty chronicle about the making of his film Take Me To Dinner.
- British-Chinese author PP Wong reads The Life Of A Banana, a story about race-relations in London as seen through the eyes of a 12-year-old British-born Chinese girl.
- Malaysian author Zen Cho Reads, voted Best Newcomer at the British Fantasy Awards 2016, reads Sorcerer To The Crown, about the adventures of England’s first African Sorcerer Royal.