If you have been caught with marijuana by your local law enforcement, it is likely that you are filled with concerns about your future and what will happen to you. There are several federal and state laws that will affect you, and you must seek the advice of a Pennsylvania criminal defense lawyer.
Your lawyer enables you to understand the proper steps to take after being caught to ensure that the legal consequences you may face do not worsen. They defend you dedicatedly and assess your case to help determine what possible charges can end up on your record and create strategies to reduce or dismiss them.
What are the possible consequences if you have been found with marijuana?
- Possession of marijuana for personal use (Less than 30 grams.)
While medical use of marijuana is legal with a doctor’s prescription, its possession for recreational purposes is still illegal. In Philadelphia, possessing a small quantity of marijuana, precisely less than 30 grams, has been decriminalized. However, this does not imply that the person will not face any repercussions. The police officer may cite you for a civil offense. You might have to pay a $25 fine which may be increased to $100 if you were smoking in public or completing nine hours of community service instead.
- Possession of marijuana for personal use (More than 30 grams.)
Possessing more than 30 grams can result in a misdemeanor charge. You may face up to a year of imprisonment and pay a fine of $5000. Several factors determine your final sentence, such as if you have any previous offenses and driving while being under the influence of the drug.
- The production, sale, or distribution of marijuana
The consequences of manufacturing and selling marijuana can drastically affect your life. The amount differs based on the production.
- For two to nine pounds or ten to twenty-five plants, you may face up to a year in jail along with a $5000 fine.
- For ten to forty-nine pounds or twenty-one to fifty live plants, you may face up to three years in jail and pay a $15,000 fine.
- For at least fifty pounds and fifty-one live plants, you may face up to five years in prison and pay a $50,000 fine.
After investigating your case, your lawyer in Pennsylvania helps you create appropriate defense strategies. Their presence can significantly ease your stress during this time and enable you to attain a favorable outcome. They may also help you expunge these charges from your permanent record so that they do not affect your future employment opportunities.
Pennsylvania has a clinical weed program. Under which certain specifications have to be followed by the respective individual who is buying marijuana. In any case, this doesn’t imply that anybody can buy weed and afterwards guarantee that they need it for glaucoma, post-horrendous pressure issue (PTSD), or another passing ailment. Some guidelines and legalities have to be followed, and if they are not followed, the bearer has to face strict consequences.
If you are thinking of buying clinical pot, then you must know that to purchase and utilize clinical pot in Pennsylvania lawfully, you must buy a clinical pot ID card through the Medical Marijuana Registry; the registry asks you to have an ID card; otherwise, you will not be allowed to have a clinical pot. Afterwards, you should buy a supported pot item from an authorized clinical marijuana dispensary.
For everything, either you first have to take the permission from the registry or for the supported pot, you have to buy it from the authorized sources. Likewise, Pennsylvania’s clinical cannabis regulation restricts how much Maryjane that ID Cardholders can lawfully have. As Philadelphia is a part of Pennsylvania, most of the restrictions and guidelines are also followed.
Some essential legalities of Marijuana in Philadelphia:
- Redirection Program in Philadelphia
For a great many people accused of ownership of cannabis or marijuana, interestingly, a redirection or diversion program is accessible in Philadelphia. Under the redirection program, you go wait on the post-trial process. On the off chance that you complete your probation, the charges are excused.
The head prosecutor has the discretion of whether to acknowledge respondents in the program. The program is set for the marijuana user to curb any problems and issues arising in the city because of marijuana. A person consuming marijuana might have to go for probation. Several other programmes are also started by the government, and if you are thinking of consuming marijuana, you must know about it in detail.
- As discussed before, In Philadelphia, individuals who are found having 30 grams or less of weed will be referred to and fined $25.
- Assuming an individual is found partaking in a pot out in the open, the person will be referred to and fined $100 or made to perform nine hours of local area administration. This actually is viewed as a common offense. Moreover, cops will seize any substance they find; however, the wrongdoers will not have a lawbreaker record.
- The substance actually is viewed as illicit in Philadelphia. This implies having in excess of 30 grams and managing or dealing the substance paying little mind to weight actually is viewed as a criminal offense, which could mean a crook record.
Philadelphia has both strictness and somewhere to ensure that the marijuana consumer does not feel clueless about the legalities in Philadelphia. The marijuana consumer has to go through many things, from fines to probation, so before buying marijuana, it is essential to know about the legalities well in advance. These legalities will help you alot in future and if you are thinking of consuming marijuana then you must know about them in detail.